Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Letting go

I've been trying to be detached from possessions as much as possible because they're just possessions. But there are times it's difficult. Sam has taken to slamming cabinet doors, slapping down the toilet seat, hanging off the sink faucets, and otherwise trying to be as destructive as possible.


The latest victim of his wave of terror is this:RIP food processor bowl.

I'm angry about it, not so much because it's broken but because the reason it is broken is because he didn't listen to me when I told him to stop playing with it and to leave it alone. My back was turned and it hit the floor spilling the contents everywhere.


What are the chances I'll be able to find a replacement bowl for a ten year old food processor?

I'm struggling with his willful disregard of other's possessions so I told that in the morning, he had to give me one of his toys.


"OK, I'll give you one I hate."


"No, you need to give me one you like."


"No, I want to give you one I don't like."


Eventually he agreed that he will give me one of the toys he likes.


Now should I keep it, break it, or give it back to him in a couple of months?

Update: I'm now the proud owner of a train whistle. Toooooot tooot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a fun train whistle! You should keep it and enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

See, now if you were a sibling, rather than a parent who had to act responsibly, you could hang around Sam, toot the whistle, and say, "Boy, this sure is a nice whistle. Don't you wish you had such a nice whistle?"