Sunday, October 30, 2011

A perfect fall project

This reminds me of when I was a kid. We built a two-room fort in the backyard and slept out there. The boys fully expect to sleep outside but given that last night it sleeted, perhaps it won't be happening in the near future.

The materials are from a house being built on our street. They're building a net-zero green house and the walls are made of this material which is very nice for building since the panels stand up on their own so the boys can nail them together. They're very proud of their accomplishment so far and expect to make this a four room fort.

The hammers are flying.

Windows are apparently optional.

A door is not.

I've discovered it's best to not watch what they're doing too closely.


Prior to making the fort, they found another use for the building materials. I give you the Empire State Building with an airplane on top.

I love that they're doing this. It seems as though kids do very little of this sort of thing now with all the organized sports, after school care and such. They've been busy with this project all weekend long and Sam is so excited about it he wanted me to wake him up when I got up this morning...at 6am. I'm glad projects such as these still have the ability to keep kids enthralled.

Now, I'm hoping he doesn't decide he needs to run power to the fort. And that the city doesn't give me trouble about the lack of a building permit....

6 comments:

Phyllis said...

I hate that kids today are growing up on video games and computers. What happened to playing games and legos? One of my oldest friends reminiced this morning about when we used to play with dolls (well past 10 yo even) and wishes we could go back to when times were so much less complicated.

LisaTV said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Beth said...

That's going to be one dark fort! They will need electricy for sure.
And now you tell me that it is an airplane on the empire state building - I studied it when I was looking at the Lotus, and I couldn't figure it out!

Mom said...

That is a blast from the past. The building materials are very upscale though. Looks like they are having fun. You are going to need a lot of flashlight batteries.

asil64 said...

Love it! Remember when we slept in that cramped two room fort in the back yard at our house? LOL What a miserable night! Sam's house looks like it will be warmer. We have a fort in the middle of our living room at the moment, a giant cardboard box with windows and doors cut out of it. Also, a pet frog that Abbie, Q and some of their friends got out of the pond yesterday. Does Sam's house need a pet frog? ;-P

Anne V said...

Of course I remember sleeping out there. A tad stuffy and damp. I'm sure Sam would love having a pet frog so why don't you put it in the mail?